As temperatures continue to drop, the need for proper storage for electric bikes is important to increase its longevity and performance. Batteries are an essential component in electric bikes. Electric bike batteries have an average charge life of 30 miles and a lifespan of up to 1,000 full charges (that is, from a dead to full battery).
Electric Bike Place (powered by MACkite) has created a list for electric bike owners to store your electric bike battery.
- Do not store it fully charged or on the charger all winter.
- Store the battery with a charge level between 40% and 80%. The average battery charge is 30 miles.
- Store the battery in a location that will not experience extreme temperatures (either hot or cold), such as an insulated garage or in your home.
- Store the battery in a dry location.
- Don't leave the battery on the charger for prolonged periods of time. Although most chargers have an auto-off function, you'll want to be sure there aren't any issues and store the battery off the charger.
- Every three months, check the charge level of your battery. If it has changed, be sure to charge the battery back to the 40% - 80% level.
- Charge the battery in a location where a hot battery or charger (should a malfunction occur) would not cause a damaging fire.
It does not take much to keep battery life safe, but these small steps will ensure a long life for years to come. As always, Electric Bike Place is available for answering questions related to bike maintenance and storage. Please call the shop at 800-622-4655 with any questions.